Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Now that the Olympics and the Paralympics are over I’m feeling a big wide gap in my swim consumption. Sure, there’s always national and international coverage on champions and tournaments and world-records. And god knows I’ve been spending a lot of time looking back at replays both from this past year’s olympics and the prior ones. But I find myself without a story to latch onto. That’s why I’ve started to (flip)turn towards swimming books. Whether you know the characters in a story or not, every time you read a story it’s as if you’re experiencing it for the first time. Reading a story never happens the same way twice. As you change, so do your views and associations. A story may remind of one thing during your first read, but during a second read you may find yourself launched into a whole other world.
As you can tell, I’m pretty stoked to be getting some good reading on. Specifically, swimming reading. I’ve combed the interwebs and the below books are currently on my to-read list.

The Artistic Choice

by Lisa Congdon
Just one look through the pages of The Joy of Swimming is enough to make you want to keep a copy of it on your coffee table forever. But this is so much more than a coffee table book. Using beautiful illustrations, Lisa Congdon explores the history of swimming, some of the greatest athletes ever to hit the water, and some of the most inspiring quotes ever said. Being a swimmer herself, Congdon infects every page with her passion for the sport with the end result of making you want to hop in the pool. (Note that Lynne Cox, mentioned below, writes the foreword)! 

For the full blog, go to NicholasFainlight.org

No comments:

Post a Comment